Friday, May 1, 2009

Manny Week One: Archetypes

Today, we had the whole school track meet at Swangard Stadium. During the breaks in between the rotation of groups, I started to think about the Godfather. When I looked around myself, I saw people enjoying themselves [particularly looking at the grade 10s]. I realized that instead of being forced to work, most of the grade 10s took their stations seriously as if it were their own business. Once you start enjoying your business, it starts to change the way you act and/or the way you work, then it is not so much of a business but instead a way of lifestyle.


The Corleone family and any other family in the Godfather would say it, [the mafia], is just business but that is not true because they enjoy the perks of the mafia and it effects the way that they live. An example of the mafia taking effect and changing the way a person acts is in the beginning of the Godfather where Sonny see that the FBI are at his sisters wedding so he decides to spit at one of the FBI's badge and breaks the other's camera.


The archetype that I see in the Godfather is "The Initiation." The place where I see this situational archetype is when Don Corleone gets shot down and Sonny becomes the "temporary" Don of the Corleone family. Sonny takes matter into his own hands and it changes the way that he acts. Once he "becomes" the Don, he stars to act like that he is invincible. There is also another person in the Godfather that goes through the "initiation," but I do not want to say anything about it because I may spoil your surprise and you do not want that to happen. I can tell you about this in my next week's archetypes post.


So the next time you hear, "Its only business." Is it really?

No comments:

Post a Comment